- Wok and Roll:
- How has the business been after COVID-19 ?— It has been a tough era to cope with, but with the gradual opening up of businesses, customers are coming back.
- What is one difficulty you as the owner encountered ?—The main issue is the lack of government support, if my restaurant goes out of business tomorrow, who is there to provide housing and other benefits to my family?
- What other things do you want to say ?—Since we are a American Chinese food based place, we wish there could be more American customers coming to eat despite the fact that we know the COVID issue might have put stereotypes on us.
2. Beyond the Wok:
- How has the business been after COVID-19 ?—Business is as usual with a boost in customer satisfaction occasionally. Much of the customers here are Chinese students and international faculty since we are a newly opened joint in auburn and we provide AUTHENTIC Chinese food.
- What is one difficulty you as the owner encountered ?—One issue is the lack of delivery people to bring takeout food to the doorstep, sometimes the time would take up to nearly 30min on delivery.
- What other things do you want to say ?—Since we are a new restaurant here in auburn and a very authentic one tested out by the local Chinese, we do not have any shortages of customers. Welcome to try our dishes, you will like it.
3. Wooden Chopsticks:
- How has the business been after COVID-19 ?—Business is okay but we are struggling in some way due to the extremely high rent and the expense to maintain a large crew and other utilities.
- What is one difficulty you as the owner encountered ?—Basically how to keep up with the rent and other utilities is what we worry about during such a time.
- What other things do you want to say ?—Since the Beyond the Wok restaurant opened much of the Chinese population has been taken away by their popularity, but we still could maintain a healthy amount of income even with the no indoor dining regulations.
4. Fuji Restaurant and Sushi Bar:
- How has the business been after COVID-19 ?—Business is as usual, there hasn’t been any significant changes during those times. we continue to serve both Chinese customers and local people with Chinese food and fresh sushi.
- What is one difficulty you as the owner encountered ?—So far so good, we have yet to meet any difficulties.
- What other things do you want to say ?—On a broader extent I just hope all this mess the pandemic has made can be over soon, life needs to get back to normal.
Link to short video (On Tiktok): American Chinese and authentic Chinese https://v.douyin.com/JXP26Wa/
As the issue of COVID-19 continue to affect the United States, more and more people began to believe that Chinese food is poisonous. My project is to take a look at the cuisines those restaurants serve and to ensure that they are free of diseases. Tracing back the history of Chinese people in the United States, it is not hard to find that ethnic Chinese began to take discrimination after the Chinese Exclusion Act first got approved. Despite the government’s effort to ease the pressure on the situation, the public did not respond swiftly, leaving traces of left over racism. After interviewing much of the owners, I have a strong sense that racism still resides among us, Through the short clip I just wanted to prove that there is nothing to fear as our food is clean and yummy. Chinese people should earn more respect than they have now since they are the ones who actively provide jobs to communities through the establishment of restaurants and gives back much needed supplies like face masks to their community during a crisis.